Everybody is using the term branding these days. But what does that really mean? I know how fraternities brand themselves or how ranchers brand their cattle, but how do marketers brand themselves? Secondly, is branding always a good thing, or does it peg you into one hole?
The American Marketing Association (AMA) defines a brand as a "name, term, sign, symbol or design, or a combination of them intended to identify the goods and services of one seller or group of sellers and to differentiate them from those of other sellers. So I guess by branding myself or my name, I'm telling the world that I am Tamia Postell and this is what I stand for, or this is what I promote. What happens if I decide not to promote the same product anymore or my views change over time?
According to the latest guru's... it's ok to change your ideas or views because the relationship you build with your followers will be so strong that they will change products or views right along with you. A good brand is said to confirm your credibility, motivate the buyer, connect you and the buyer emotionally and solidify buyer loyalty. Hhmmm, I'm not so sure of this. On one hand there are many marketers that sell product after product, and one can only assume that he has branded himself as a guru on that particular niche. But on the other hand I feel like branding yourself could also lead to a road of high expectations.
I hate to use Tiger Woods as an example because the media has already taken him through the wringer, but I think he is a prime example of where branding can go wrong. Tiger branded himself as a good guy, a clean cut honorable young man, which made companies flock to him. He was every marketers dream, and subsequently was booked to sponsor several companies. When he was exposed as being a less than perfect human being, the sponsors dropped him like a hot potato. Why? because he was not the type of person they wanted to promote their products. Tigers branding failed him and his sponsors.
This is exactly why I am against branding myself as the authority on anything. I can only assure anyone that I will do my best, not that I am the best. We are all a masterpiece in the making and everyday is a new learning experience. I believe relationship building is needed more in today's methods of marketing. We need to take the time to learn more about each other, like what really resides in the hearts and minds of the people we choose to follow and stop looking for the next guru to lead us like sheep to slaughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment